Guide to using Google Maps Offline
Have you ever been in a foreign city, think you know where you’re going and then all of a sudden you’re completely lost? You’re stuck without mobile data and there is no wifi in sight. What if I told you there is a way of using Google maps offline, without using any wifi or data?
Benefit of Google Maps offline
The best thing about google maps offline is that you can use it as you normally would. It even gives you that blue dot that tells you where you are! Yep, I don’t know about you, but I even use that function in my home city when I find myself a little lost.
How Google Maps offline works
It is important to note that you need to get this set up before you travel as you will need wifi to do it. So make sure you have a strong wifi connection before following the below steps.
- Connect your phone to wifi and open up Google Maps
- Type in the city you’re visiting (e.g Sydney)
- When your map is showing up with your city, click on the hamburger (also known to most people as the three horizontal lines) which are in the top left of the app
- Click Offline Areas
- Click Custom Area
- You can now zoom out or in depending on what area of the map you want
- Remember to be connected to wifi (to save your 4G) and click Download.
- After a few minutes, it will be fully downloaded and you can then rename your area (e.g Sydney) and save it
How to save down favourites to your offline map
This is a very cool function. You can save down your hotel, a point of interest, tourist attraction to your map and it will appear with a star! This will make it easier to find when you’re out and about.
To do this, simply follow the below steps:
- When you’re in google maps, search for the place of interest (e.g your hotel)
- Click on the red pin and when it expands with the address details, click Save
- Select Starred places
- Continue for all other points of interest
- You will now notice when you go into your map, these places will be marked up with a star
Can you still get directions when using Google Maps offline
The one thing we’ve noticed when using Google Maps offline is that it can’t give you walking or driving directions. Just keep this in mind and remember that before you leave your hotel and you’re connected to wifi, set up your google maps and start your directions – it will keep directing you even offline (just don’t change the route as it won’t reroute for you!).
We used this function on our trip to Cinque Terre and it saved the day!
“Investment in travel is an investment in yourself.” ~ Matthew Karsten